Thursday, November 17, 2011

Potato and Vegetable Hash




I love breakfast.  Sometimes when we have busy mornings and I only grab a Luna bar or something snack-like for breakfast, I still need to then have a real breakfast.  Even when it’s noon, I still need breakfast before moving onto lunch.  Awhile ago I was out to breakfast and I saw an item on the menu called Farmer’s Market Hash.  I actually didn’t order it, but I saw it and I kept thinking I wanted to create my own version at home.  So the beauty of this is just the method, the ingredients and amounts don’t matter.  I love recipes like that.


Start with potatoes and veggies of your choice.  I used purple, red and Yukon gold potatoes, a sweet potato, carrots, some red onion and kale.  Plus a couple of cloves of garlic.  (Or less if you don't like garlic)
Dice everything up pretty small.  Even sizes ensures that things cook equally, but small also helps it all cook quickly.  While you're dicing, heat a pan with some olive oil, probably a tablespoon or so, more if you're making a big batch. Season as you go; I sprinkle with some sea salt, a few twists from my pepper grinder and then toward the end I add my salt-free seasoning.
When the potatoes and other veggies are almost tender, add the kale that you have washed and chopped.  Season everything a little more and stir frequently.  

For me, I consider it done when everything is tender and the outsides are crispy.  I love to eat mine with an over easy egg on top.





No comments:

Post a Comment