Monday, October 3, 2011

No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

I'm volunteering at my kids' school once a week teaching a cooking class as a part of their electives offering.  We've had 2 classes and so far, so good.  I've got tons of ideas and recipes, but just one hour each week so I have really had to challenge myself to narrow it down and choose activities that can be completed and cleaned up within that 1 hour.  The first class was all about going over some rules in the kitchen and talking about cooking terms and we made popcorn on the stove top, the "old fashioned" way.   The next class we made breakfast; pancakes, eggs and potatoes.  So this week I wanted to focus on making several no-cook snacks.  I want to share one of the snacks that I found, tested and will use this week.  No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls.
 
There are actually quite a few egg-less cookie dough recipes floating around the Internets.  They're designed for cookie dough fiends or for putting in homemade ice cream.  The recipe I came across is vegan and designed to be healthier for you and gives an option for added protein by adding protein powder.  I thought it would be perfect for the students to make; easy, fun and healthy!  I adapted it to use ingredients I had on hand and I think it keeps it simple, but still delivers a tasty, healthy snack.  I think I might pack some for our next soccer tournament; it's a good little sweet treat between games that has some good carbs and protein for keeping your energy up.

Add all the ingredients except the chocolate chips, mix together

Add the chocolate chips- I used mini ones, I liked smaller bits of chocolate in these.  See how the consistency of the dough is such that it really doesn't stick to the bowl?


YUM!  Creamy peanut butter, a little crunchy texture from the ground oats and chocolate!

No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls.

Adapted From Loves Veggies and Yoga


Ingredients

1/2 cup peanut butter or any nut butter of your choice, it can be creamy or chunky (I used creamy)
3 tablespoons oat flour*
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 heaping tablespoons ground flax (optional, this is for some added fiber and Omega 3)
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 handful mini chocolate chips (or 2 handfuls of regular sized chocolate chips)

Directions
Combine everything BUT the chocolate chips until well blended and smooth.  If it seems sticky or wet, gradually sprinkle in more flour, if it seems too dry or crumbling, drizzle in more honey.  It should easily pull off the sides of the bowl and the mixing spoon.  After it reaches the right consistency, mix in the chocolate chips.  Then take a small spoon and scoop some dough and form into a ball with your hands.  Place on a plate.  Cover the balls with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to firm up for about 20 minutes.
Keep stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or you can make several batches and store some in the freezer.  Frozen ones probably need a minute or two to soften when you want to eat one.

*Oat flour is just ground up old fashioned (not instant/quick) rolled oats.  I took about 1/2 a cup and pulsed it in my food processor until it was ground up.  It’s not a fine as flour, it’s got texture still, which is good.  If you don't want to bother, just play around with a combination of the regular oats and flour to make the dough the right consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment